Onto is a UK-based EV subscription service that offers an all-inclusive package, providing customers with easy access to an EV without the need to buy or lease an electric car.
Important Update Regarding Onto: In July 2023 news reports suggest that Onto faces administration.
We strongly encourage you to conduct your own research and due diligence before making any decisions. As the situation unfolds, we will monitor closely and update our recommendations as needed.
The subscription covers the car, breakdown cover, insurance, maintenance, and even charging at public charging stations, all for a monthly fee.
Onto’s flexible model allows customers to switch cars or cancel anytime, providing a much more flexible alternative to lengthy lease contracts – but at a higher monthly fee.
Onto Car Subscription Pros & Cons
- All-inclusive comprehensive service
- Quick and easy contract termination
- Good level of free public charging
- Monthly on-site special offers
- Expensive initial pricing
- Costs can rack up further with add ons
We selected these pros and cons based on the criteria that Electric Car Guide customers identified as the most important to them in our survey of EV owners. We also researched real-world customer reviews on Trustpilot (both positive and negative) and compared Onto’s features with its nearest competitors.
Am I eligible for an Onto Car Subscription?
You are eligible for an Onto Car Subscription if you meet the following criteria:
- Aged between 25-85, or 30-85 for premium cars (23-24 year olds can register interest in a trial).
- Hold a full UK or EU Driving license for at least one year and are a UK resident for at least one year.
- Have not received more than 6 penalty points in the last 3 years, been banned from driving in the last 5 years, made more than 1 fault claim in the last 3 years, been refused motor vehicle insurance, or have undisclosed disabilities or convictions resulting in loss or suspension of license.
- You must also pass an affordability check conducted by Equifax, which checks for any history of CCJs, bankruptcies, insolvencies, or credit searches by debt collection agents. This check does not affect your credit rating.
If you do not meet these criteria, Onto will refund the first payment, which may take 5-10 business days to process.
Onto Car Subscription features at a glance
|Minimum term||1 month|
|Early terminiation details||7 day notice and a collection fee of £129.50|
|Deposit required||No deposit|
|Charging benefits||Free access to Shell Recharge|
Free access to Tesla Supercharger (Tesla's only)
|Number of models available||26|
|Whats included?||Insurance (over 25 only)|
750 miles per month
|Trustpilot rating||3.9 (November 2023)|
|Customer support options||Help centre: help.on.to|
Customer service phoneline: 0345 0348 647
Customer Service email: [email protected]
|Car purchase option||None|
|Pros||Comprehensive all-inclusive package|
Ontos entire range is electric
Costs can increase further with add ons
|Eligibility||You need to be 25-85 or 30-85 for the premium cars.|
You must not have:
Received 6+ penalty points during the last 3 years or have
been banned from driving within the last 5 years.
|Salary Sacrifice||Available in partnership with The Electric Car Scheme|
Onto Car Subscription full review
Onto, formerly known as Evezy, was founded in 2017 in the UK.
Onto’s innovative subscription model removes the hassle of traditional ownership or lease contracts. They offer a flexible, monthly renewable subscription that includes everything from the car itself to insurance, charging, EV MOT, servicing & and maintenance.
Onto contract and early termination protection
Onto offers a subscription-based model with a minimum term of just one month. This provides great flexibility for customers who don’t want to commit to a longer contract.
Customers have the option to terminate early with a 7-day notice, but there is a collection fee of £129.50.
Onto deposit & costs
Onto does not require a deposit. However, the delivery cost of £129.50 and the same fee for early termination might be considered high compared to other providers.
Public charging network
With 26 different models available, Onto offers a comprehensive range of EVs.
What’s included with Onto?
The comprehensive package includes insurance for drivers over 25, 750 miles per month, electric vehicle breakdown cover, servicing, and public charging.
These all-inclusive features make EV ownership pretty simple, but they do come at a higher cost. Those under 25 should really take note of the insurance limitation.
Can I purchase my car at the end of my Onto contract?
There’s no option to purchase the car at the end of the subscription. This might be a downside for those looking to eventually own an EV, but it fits with Onto’s flexible, subscription-based model.
Onto customer support
Onto provides a variety of customer support options:
Help centre: help.on.to
Customer service phone line: 0345 0348 647
Customer service email address: [email protected]
Lead time & delivery cost
The lead time of 72 working hours for vehicle delivery is excellent, but the delivery cost of £129.50 is higher than average.
Salary sacrifice option
Onto offers a salary sacrifice scheme via a partnership with The electric car scheme. This is a popular option for those looking to incorporate the subscription into their monthly wages and take advantage of tax benefits.
What Onto Car Subscription does well
Ontos entire range is electric
Onto’s commitment to offering 100% electric vehicles will appeal to customers who want to reduce their carbon footprint. It’s a forward-thinking and environmentally conscious choice.
With a minimum term of just one month and the option for early termination with a week’s notice, Onto’s flexible contracts provide more freedom and less worry for EV drivers. It’s ideal if you are looking for a short-term solution or if you change vehicles often.
Comprehensive all-inclusive package
Onto’s all-inclusive package, covering insurance (for over 25s), mileage, breakdown cover, servicing, and public charging, simplifies the driving experience. It takes the hassle out of owning an electric vehicle, making it an attractive option if you don’t want to pick up all the admin that comes with car ownership.
Where Onto Car Subscription falls short
Age Limitation for the insurance
EV Insurance is only included for drivers over the age of 25
Delivery and collection fees
There is a £129.50 delivery cost and the same fee for early collection.
Lack of car purchase option
If you want to eventually own an electric vehicle, the lack of a car purchase option might be off-putting.
Minimum age requirements for premium cars
The age restrictions for premium cars (30-85) will exclude many customers.
Lack of transparency in the affordability check
An affordability check is required, we couldn’t find much information about the specific details of this check.
What electric cars does Onto Car Subscription offer?
- Audi e-tron: A luxurious electric SUV
- Audi Q4: A compact electric SUV
- Citroen e-C4: Electric hatchback from Citroen.
- DS 3: A stylish and compact electric vehicle.
- Fiat 500 Convertible & Hatchback: An iconic design with an electric twist.
- Hyundai Ioniq: Known for its efficiency, the Hyundai Ioniq offers a nice blend of performance and practicality.
- Hyundai Kona: A compact electric SUV with a strong range.
- Jaguar i-Pace: Premium electric SUV.
- Peugeot e-2008 GT: Stylish electric SUV from Peugeot.
- Peugeot e-208: A compact electric hatchback.
- Renault Zoe: One of the more affordable electric vehicles on the market.
- Tesla Model 3: Tesla Model 3 offers cutting-edge technology, impressive range, and very high performance.
- Vauxhall Corsa-e: The electric version of Vauxhall’s popular compact car.
- Vauxhall Mokka-e: A nice design paired with practicality.
- Volkswagen ID3: The ID3 is designed to be an electric car for the mass market, offering practicality and affordability.
- Volkswagen ID4: This is a spacious electric SUV.
How do I apply for Onto Car Subscription?
Applying for an Onto Car Subscription can all be done easily online, here’s how it works:
- Create an Account on the ONTO site
If you’re a new customer, you’ll likely need to create a new Onto account by providing your personal details, including your full name, email address, and password. You will need to be able to take a selfie too for the activation! It takes less than 5 minutes to register.
- Provide Documentation
You’ll need to provide a valid UK or EU driving license and may also need to submit additional documents for identity verification, such as a utility bill or bank statement.
- Choose an EV and select add ons
Browse through the available electric vehicles and select the one you like and the subscription add-ons that suit your needs.
- Complete the affordability check
Onto will conduct an affordability check to assess your eligibility.
- Confirm payment details
Provide your payment information for the subscription.
- Review the Ts&Cs
Carefully read and agree to Onto’s terms and conditions to understand your commitments and responsibilities.
- Arrange delivery
Coordinate with Onto for the delivery of your EV, the lead time should be around 72 working hours.
The final word on Onto Car Subscription
Onto Car Subscription offers an ideal entry point for those curious about electric driving without wanting to commit longer term. The all-inclusive aspect of the service is the real highlight, covering everything from insurance to public charging, Onto really is simplifying the customer experience.
However, there is plenty of room for improvement. Age restrictions hinder some potential users, and the lack of a car purchase option is a negative if you wanted to buy your vehicle at the end of the term. Not to mention the costs – the monthly costs are higher than average as customers are paying for the luxury of all-inclusive service.
Help if you’re struggling with debt from car subscriptions or leases
Late payments on car subscriptions or leases can lead to financial difficulties. If you find yourself struggling with debt from car subscriptions or leases, it is essential to seek professional guidance. Several debt advice services can help:
- StepChange: StepChange offers debt management plans tailored to your situation
- Citizens Advice: Offering free and confidential advice on managing debts.
- National Debtline: National Debtline is a helpline specifically designed to assist with personal debt, including car subscription or lease obligations.
- MoneyHelper (formerly The Money Advice Service): Providing tools and support to help you understand your options and make informed decisions.
Remember, the terms of car subscriptions and leases can vary significantly, so it’s really important to read and understand your specific agreements and obligations.
Onto review methodology
At Electric Car Guide, our review of Onto was conducted with impartiality and an in-depth understanding of what electric car users value. Here’s how we formulated our evaluation:
- Customer Feedback from Electric Car Guide: We surveyed users on our own website, Electric Car Guide. These insights offered us a firsthand view of real-world experiences and car subscription expectations, allowing us to frame our review around actual user needs and preferences.
- Trustpilot Reviews: We took into account both positive and negative reviews from Trustpilot. This provided a balanced perspective, acknowledging the praises and criticisms Onto has received from a diverse range of customers.
- Comparison with Competitors: We compared Onto’s features, offerings, and customer experience against their nearest competitors in the electric car subscription market. This enabled us to gauge Onto’s standing in the industry, highlighting its strengths and areas for improvement.
Ready to dive even deeper...
John is the Editor and Spokesperson for Electric Car Guide.
With over 20 years of writing experience, he has written for titles such as City AM, FE News and NerdWallet.com, covering various automotive and personal finance topics.
John’s market commentary has been covered by the likes of The Express, The Independent, Yahoo Finance and The Evening Standard.